Does DNS work with DHCP?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri Sep 3 17:56:12 UTC 1999

> I have a small network with 3 machines win98.abc,co, win95.abc.co and
> Linux.abc.co.  The Linux box acts as both the DNS nameserver and DHCP
> server.  I can ping win98 from win95 and vicerversa using just their
> names.  However I can not ping either from the Linux box using their
> names and nslookup does not know them.
>
> Is all as it should be?

If there are only 3 hosts, why not use static addressing?  Then you
could put their addresses in the zone file and, if the Linux host is
looking at itself for name resolution [which I would assume, but you
don't say what's in /etc/resolv.conf], then it would resolve.

> Is their a mechanism to enable BIND to act as a nameserver for addresses
> allocated by DHCP?

Dynamic DNS, but I don't know whether your DHCP daemon can do this.
Which DHCP daemon?  For that matter, which distribution and version of
Linux?

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B