findns error (NXDOMAIN)

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Sep 3 19:09:19 UTC 1999

In article <37D00B8A.866EB06 at bizrate.com>,
Karl Asseily  <karl at bizrate.com> wrote:
>Hello Bind users,
>
>I am getting a slew of messages in /var/log/messages and I don't
>understand where they are coming from.
>Can any of you please direct me to a quick and sure fix?
>Thanks!
>
>karl
>
>Sep  3 10:34:15 dns1 named[12903]: sysquery: findns error (NXDOMAIN) on
>DNS1.BINARYCOMPASS.COM?
>Sep  3 10:34:15 dns1 named[12903]: sysquery: findns error (NXDOMAIN) on
>DNS2.BINARYCOMPASS.COM?

According to the InterNIC domain registration, DNS1.BINARYCOMPASS.COM and
DNS2.BINARYCOMPASS.COM are two of the nameservers for the binarycompass.com
domain.  However, there are no A records for dns1 or dns2 in the
binarycompass.com zone when I transfer it from dante.bizrate.com.  You need
to add:

dns1  IN A  209.31.199.41
dns2  IN A  209.31.199.23

to the domain or update the registration to point to the servers that you
list in your zone file (it looks like some of these are new names for the
same servers, so you should be able to get InterNIC to just update the
hostnames in WHOIS).

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com