Setting up a Root name server

Michael Voight mvoight at cisco.com
Fri Sep 3 22:32:39 UTC 1999

chris wrote:

> Jim Reid wrote:

> That's funny, every time I've switched from using a remote DNS to a local
> caching one, Iv'e seen a remarkable speed up. The ONLY think that changed
> is the RTT to the servers.

Well, root nameservice is a little different.

> Oh man, when was the last time you actually had to nslookup directly from
> a root name server. a.root-servers.net never answeres in the late after
> noon. The other day, I had one of my techs trying to get a response from
> any root name server and 1/2 of them would not reply. They all ping, but
> they couldn't answer a nslookup.

Duh.... Did you do nslookup in NON RECURSIVE mode?? Root servers do not
respond to non-recursive queries  AFAIK.

> Yes, I really know nothing about DNS, I'm just very good at faking it.

When you write a book as well respected as Cricket's, we might believe
you.

So, do what you wish. Become a root server. Let us know how it turns
out.

Michael