Setting up a Root name server

Michael Voight mvoight at cisco.com
Mon Sep 6 17:45:58 UTC 1999

chris wrote:

> There isn't a problem.
>
> > slaving all the top-level domains will improve things. And my point
> >

> I'm not slaving.

No, but in this context, there is no difference.
You are getting a copy of the data on the real roots. You are NOT
creating the data.

> > remains: faster DNS lookups only matter when the existing DNS setup is
> >

> You are full of shit on that one. Faster DNS look up is one of the key
> things that makes an internet connection fast.

Slow connections tend to be due to bad reverse look ups.
Are you going to be auth for all of the in-addr.arpa zones?
And most DNS lookups do NOT involve the root servers.

> As I've said in a few other posts. Yes we are running sites like
> altavista. Yes we do have a ton of traffic. If one of our customers wants
> to resolve the 50 million hits a day they get, then we are going to make
> sure they can do it.

If there is a problem with resolving the PTR record, it is usually
because they have misconfigured it, not because of a query to root.

> I work with what I can control. I run the DNS servers here, and I would
> like to do what I can to make things as fast as possible with the
> resources available.

Then why ask the experts and then disagree with them.

> Since when does using nslookup to query a root server have anything to do
> with local DNS setup,

Since DNS was invented.

 and as far as my network, I'm proud to say that I'm
> sitting on one of the better networks in southern california.
>
> > might help you to know that the root servers don't recurse. [They're
>
> Yeah, we covered this about 3 days ago.. I think just about everyone
> reading this newsgroup knows how root nameservers function to that degree.
>

> > only supposed to be queried by name servers, not resolvers in things
> > like nslookup.] Perhaps your "techs" confuse a referral answer from a
> >

> no, it's more like you type in nslookup, set server to a root server that
> you KNOW is geographically close to you, send it a query and get no
> response. Then you try another root server and still get no response. When
> this came up it was at about 6pm on a week day.. and I'm sure the internet
> was really cramped at that hour.

A response NEVER came? Did you get a timeout message?
What was the query?

But, the fact still remains, if I can get
> a root server on my network, and get our local nameserves to query it, and
> have our customers nameservers query it, it will speed things up. I don't
> know how much it will speed things up but I would like to find out. Since
> no one seems to have done this before.

If you feel that is the solution then do it..

Michael