Two DNS newbie questions...

Bruce James Robert Linley linley at megami.org
Tue Sep 7 03:39:21 UTC 1999

Question one:

I've just got DNS working on my domain (Bind 8.x) after pouring through
numerous FAQs and examples. And I can easily add new hosts and have them
resolve. But how do I add an entry so that the domain name itself
resolves to something. e.g., I have

foo.bar.com => 192.168.1.1
baz.bar.com => 192.168.1.2
etc.

But how can I get
bar.com => 192.168.1.3

Do I have to add a root level zone for com to resolve bar.com? (And
somehow pass off other lookups to the real root server for .com?

Question two:

I have a cable modem with a single static IP address assigned to me.
Right now, DNS believes I have a whole class C block 24.234.55.xxx
because I can't seem to find a way for DNS to subnet below the octet
level. Is there a solution to this so I can get reverse lookups
working properly?

Thanks!

--
Bruce James Robert Linley |  +---+---+--_  | "Tea is always bitter... but
linley at megami dot org  |  |   |NV | UT  |       blood is warm and sweet."