nslookup works locally, fails remotely

wje@wje.net root at wje.net
Tue Sep 7 16:46:39 UTC 1999

Greets,

I'm seeing some strangeness for a domain we've hosted for ages.

Recently, a customer called to complain that users of our DNS servers can get to perpetualtides.com, while users of !(our DNS servers) cannot.

This domain has been registered w/InterNIC for quite a while and has been working flawlessly until just very recently, and whois returns the correct numbers for the primary and secondary name-servers.  I'm not aware of any changes made to the domain data, and all indications are that no changes have been made.

Of course, Step One is Reproduce The Problem and sure enough, "nslookup perpetualtides.com ns[2].csinet.net" gives the correct results, but "nslookup perpetualtides.com some.other.dns" fails with a "*** other.dns.box can't find perpetualtides.com: Non-existent host/domain" message.

Neither the Linux2+BIND8 nor the WinNT4+MS-DNS name-servers complain about anything in the domain data, and both serve the correct answers locally.

Most puzzling -- any clues as to where to look next?

jim

jimw(at)csinet(dot)net