mail routing error, their problem or mine?

Postmaster isp99 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 7 16:54:27 UTC 1999

Any clues to what is going on here anybody - thank you in advance! We're
hosting the web site for this company on our solaris box. Both primary
and secondary DNS for this domain is provided by AT&T. The client is
running their own mail server called pines1.pinesofcarolina.org. Mail
generated by a CGI script on our web server is going into dead.letter.
When we run a verbose test from the command line here's what it says:

# mail -v trnreg at pinesofcarolina.org
Subject: test
test please ignore
.
EOT
# trnreg at pinesofcarolina.org... Connecting to mail.pinesofcarolina.org.
via esmtp...
trnreg at pinesofcarolina.org... Host unknown (Name server:
mail.pinesofcarolina.org.: host not found)
/home/dodad/dead.letter... cannot open /home/dodad/dead.letter:
Permission denied
cracker... Connecting to local...
cracker... Sent

#

here is the relevant portion of their dns record here:

pinesofcarolina.org.      IN      A      206.236.182.116
www.pinesofcarolina.org.  IN      MX      10 pines1.pinesofcarolina.org.

pinesofcarolina.org.      IN      MX      10 pines1.pinesofcarolina.org.

www         IN      CNAME      pinesofcarolina.org.
ftp         IN      CNAME      pinesofcarolina.org.