DNS Newbie Question

Dave_Walsh Dave_J_Walsh at keane.com
Tue Sep 7 18:10:24 UTC 1999

Hello.  I'm very new to DNS.  I have a good understanding of the
concepts but still struggle a bit with some of the terminology.  I have
it all installed on RedHat 5.2.

We are part of a larger corporate network.  Our Internet access and DNS
server resides at our corporate head office across the WAN.  At present,
we are not resolving names locally.  We use only IP addresses.  I'd like
to start using names, but I need to also have the ability to resolve
Internet addresses.  I understand the terminology of forwarders and such
(although I haven't been able to get it to work yet) to forward requests
to our corporate DNS.  I've had a suggestion that we should become a
child domain to our corporate domain however, our corporate head office
is not likely to entertain this request.  I'd like to register our own
domain name here and set up our own internal DNS server that forwards to
their server for purposes of Internet addresses.

I've been toying for sometime now, but I need further help.  I could
actually use some advice on how to go about doing this.  I've read most
of DNS and BIND, but it doesn't have a lot of information on how to do
this type of setup.  I could really use some examples and some lessons
learned by someone else who has had similar experiences.

Thanks

Dave

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- File: Dave_J_Walsh.vcf