deny host queries

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Tue Sep 7 18:46:26 UTC 1999

zhouna <zhouna at 21cn.com> wrote in message
news:<000101bef928$fd294160$003efea9 at zhouna>...
> a quick question:
>
> how can i deny others to list all the machines in my domain?
> namely,
> people can use "host" query how many boxes in one domain,how can deny it?

Add an allow-transfer substatement:

zone "acmebw.com" {
    type master;
    file "db.acmebw.com";
    allow-transfer { 192.168.0.1; };    // only allow these addresses to
transfer
};

or, to protect all of the zones the name server is authoritative for:

options {
    directory "/var/named";
    allow-transfer { 192.168.0.1; };
};

You might also check the archives of this newsgroup before asking a question
like this--it gets answered fairly often.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
www.acmebw.com/training.htm for the
schedule and to register for upcoming
classes.