Setting up a Root name server

Scott Morizot tmorizot at ccsi.com
Tue Sep 7 19:35:06 UTC 1999

On Mon, 6 Sep 1999, chris wrote:
> If you put half the effort in to working out problems that you do
> in complaining about them, you would be a lot more productive person.

For someone who complains about being attacked, you certainly
do like to throw slurs around, don't you?

At any rate, you're the only one who seems to believe it's
a problem.  It's not.  BIND is implementing the protocol,
as far as I can tell, exactly as it should be implemented.
A server is either authoritative or not.  If it is authoritative
and should be queried, it will be listed in the NS list for
the zone.  If it is not, then there is no reason to expect
another server to query it (unless its resolver is pointed at it
of course) for infromation about that zone.

That's as true of the root zone as it is of any other.

If you feel that's a problem in the protocol, you are always
welcome to write and submit a proposed change to the standard.
Maybe there are lots of other people who agree with you.
Or maybe not.

Until such time, however, what you propose will not produce
the result you wish.  Period.  If you want to do it anyway,
though, by all means feel free.  Which was my final
statement in my last message.

Scott