Setting up a Root name server

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Tue Sep 7 22:35:04 UTC 1999

> > Ok, and if that root server is busy or down???

As I mentioned earlier, one way to do this is for all his local servers
to "forward first" to his root server.

<preach>

This particular thread seems to have had a very negative tone to it.
Granted that the person asking the question, Chris, has been somewhat
abrasive in some of his responses.  Some of the regular members of this
forum have been equally abrasive or more so.  I'm surprised.  Only one
of us is usually this abrasive.  [;-}]

In this particular thread, there has also been a lot of dropped info -
people discussing issues that have already been answered, etc.  There
have also been a surprising number of technical mistakes by people whom
I thought knew better.  Probably mostly mis-statements made in the heat
of firing off a flaming retort, eh?

Chris wants to do something that none of us is sure is going to really
work.  Why?  Well, if he hadn't gotten all defensive about that
question immediately, he might have answered that
	(a) his company has [for some reason] a contract that gives
	    them a copy of the root server data anyway, to play around
	    with;
	(b) he seems to have had some surprisingly slow comms problems
	    with the root name servers - an issue, real at least to his
	    perceptions, that folks just recently seem to be addressing
	(c) he was wondering if he could use (a) to help with (b)
	(d) it seemed like it might be fun.

Why not?  If his company doesn't mind him possibly wasting time - and
it might work!  He might find something of interest to all of us.  And
I, for one, even though I can't immediately use it, hope that he still
feels like sharing his results - positive or negative - in this forum.

I came back after the holiday weekend to see my mailbox massively
swollen, and this thread was a large part of it.  Usually this forum
produces more light than heat.  I think that this thread produced more
heat than light.  I think several people contributed to the friction.
I would rather not see this again.

Just my views; as always, sorry if yours are different; but let's
respect each other and be civil, eh?  Even to people who snap back when
you try to explore the questions they've raised.

</preach>

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B