Configuration questions

Robert Wuest rwuest at wuest.org
Tue Sep 7 22:31:49 UTC 1999

Hi,

I've read just about all I can find and experimented like crazy for the
past three days.  I think I'm ready to come ask now. Things seem to be
working, but I would appreciate some confirmation and some questions
answered.

I'm running bind-8.2.1, linux 2.2.12, at-one-time-Redhat 5.2, but
heavily updated.

I have two computers, a dialup ppp connection on one and and ethernet
between them.  I am using the 192.168.75.0 network internally, the hosts
are assigned IPs of 10 and 11, 10 is the name server, has the modem.  I
am using the domain "home", the computers are garath and garion, garath
is the nameserver.

I have written a script to switch me from online to offline which just
switches the "." zone file from the real one to any empty (and back) and
restarts named.

I have no registered domain name, so everything is bogus. (We need a
bogus-DNS-HOWTO :)  Now for my questions.

1. Is it ok for this server to listen on the internet?  I disabled that
by explicitly naming my eth and lo device address and not the ppp in a
listen-on option statement? Is this why I'm getting lot's of lame server
messages in my logs?

2. Looking through this newsgroup, I see some config files with "notify
yes" in their 192.168.x.x domains.  I chose no; I don't think I should
be telling any other server about that domain.  Which is correct?

3. This has me real confused: dig garath gives me this:

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
.                       1D IN SOA       A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
hostmaster.internic.NET. (
                                        1999090700      ; serial
                                        30M             ; refresh
                                        15M             ; retry
                                        1W              ; expiry
                                        1D )            ; minimum

Shouldn't garath be the authority?  Why is a root server involved in
this at all?  Is that bad? I thought that I made garath the authority by
putting:

@               IN SOA  garath.home. rwuest.wuest.org. (

In the zone config files.  (it's the same in the fwd and reverse files).

Any comments would be appreciated.

The relevant config files:

resolv.conf:

search home