redirecting overseas requests to local servers

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Sep 8 03:49:22 UTC 1999

In article <19990907234535.C5150 at space.net>,
Markus Stumpf  <maex-bind-users at Space.Net> wrote:
>> Basically: (beware, bad ascii art follows)
>>

>> +--------+      +-----+       +-----+        +-----+      +------+
>> | client |<---->| IGP |<----->| BGP |<------>| BGP |<---->|server|
>> +--------+      +-----+       +-----+<-      +-----+      +------+
>>                                        \
>>                                          \
>>                                            \   +-----+      +------+
>>                                              ->| BGP |<---->|server|
>>                                                +-----+      +------+
>>

>Ok, so far so good.
>Routers exchange routes via BGP to get their routing straight, but
>(maybe I am too dumb to understand that ...)
>why for heavens sake, would a DNS SERVER want to know anything about
>routing (if it isn't running on a multihomed machine itself).

So that it can give out different answers depending on proximity in the
network.  Consider the following diagram:

 +--------+      +-----+       +-----+        +-----+      +------+
 | client1|<---->| IGP |<----->| BGP |<------>| BGP |<---->|serv1 |
 +--------+      +-----+       +-----+        +-----+      +------+
                                  ^              ^
                                  |              |
                                  v              v
 +--------+      +-----+       +-----+        +-----+      +------+
 | client2|<---->| IGP |<----->| BGP |<------>| BGP |<---->|serv2 |
 +--------+      +-----+       +-----+        +-----+      +------+

When client1 looks up www.company.com it should return the address of
serv1, but when client2 looks up www.company.com it should return the
address of serv2.

>To be honest I never really understood what "topology" could be used
>for in a serious way in bind.
>A few days ago I saw an email where someone claimed they had "dramatically"
>increased their DNS answer speed by heavily using the topology feature.
>On the other side I remember a post by Mark Andrews in this forum not to
>long ago where he explained that bind keeps its own statistics on
>reachability and speed of answers (or does this only hold for root DNS
>servers?) and the choosing algorithm is based on this data.
>So, if I do not restart bind every hour or so, why would I want bind
>to know about routing and topology?

BIND can only build up this information dynamically by actually querying
all the servers.  In cases where the server operator knows a priori that
certain networks are much closer than others, he can configure explicit
topology statements.

If you don't feel like using it, you don't have to.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com