dns configure problem

Thomas J. Rude tjrude at predict-dli.com
Wed Sep 8 15:29:43 UTC 1999

To All-
Thanks for the previous hints and information.  However, I still cannot
get the dns service to function correctly.  While I have attempted
various configurations, the best I've gotten is internet access but no
e-mail being delivered nor sent out (just sat in Exchange IMC queue).  I
don't care about internet, but obviously e-mail is the necessity.  Here
is some information about my setup:
	1 DNS server running on NT 4.0, SP 4.  DNS software is META IP 4.1.
Name of DNS server is MGNTFW.  There are two NICs with external IP of
207.206.8.34 and internal IP of 172.16.2.111 in MGNTFW.  Name of e-mail
server running Exchange 4.0 is VALIANT and the external IP address is
207.206.8.55 while internal IP address is 172.16.3.201.  In the Network
Properties of users' desktops the DNS server is listed as 172.16.2.111.
	I'm doing address translation on the firewall (same server as dns,
MGNTFW) for two sites:
XL-DLI with internal IP network of 172.16.4.0 and external IP address of
207.206.8.39
XL-PT with internal IP network of 172.16.3.0 and external IP address of
207.206.8.38
	(I.E., a PT user shows as being from 207.206.8.38 to the outside world
while on the internet)

I have a couple of quick questions first:
	1)  where should an MX record point to (A, CNAME)?   I ask because in
our old setup, which works correctly, the MX record points to a CNAME,
however, I have heard that it should point to an A record.
	2)  can you not have more than one CNAME record per zone?  (or, is that
a bad idea?  Again, just what I have heard)
	3)  Since I am using the same DNS server for internal and external, how
should I go about setting this up?  I.E, what are the security
implications of allowing queries and transfers?  ALSO, would I create
two zones (one for the external IP address and one for the internal IP
address)?

Below (apologies for the length) is the OLD setup first followed by my
most recent attempt at a NEW setup.  Please note that the old domain was
MAN-GILL.COM while I would like the new setup to reflect our new domain
PREDICT-DLI.COM.

OLD:
	MAN-GILL.COM.DB
; ***********************************************************
; * This file is auto-generated.  It may be edited by hand,
; * but comments and formatting will not be preserved.
; * It forward-maps the man-gill.com domain.
; ***********************************************************
;
; Subnet 207.206.8
; Subnet 127.0.0
; Subnet 172.16.2
;
@	IN	SOA	mgntfw.man-gill.com.	tjrude.predict-dli.com.	(
		1997032062 	; serial
		10800 	; refresh
		3600 	; retry
		604800 	; expire
		86400)	; minimum

;
; Nameserver(s) for the man-gill.com domain.
;
man-gill.com.	IN	NS	ns1.man-gill.com.
man-gill.com.	IN	NS	ns2.iagnet.net.
man-gill.com.	IN	NS	mgntns.man-gill.com.

;
; Mail server(s) in the man-gill.com domain.
;
man-gill.com.	IN	MX	10	mx1.man-gill.com.

;
; Address record(s) for the man-gill.com domain.
;
localhost 	IN	A	127.0.0.1
@         	IN	A	207.206.8.34
marni     	IN	A	172.16.2.36
mgnotes   	IN	A	172.16.2.6
mgntfw    	IN	A	207.206.8.34
mgntfw    	IN	A	172.16.2.111
mgntns    	IN	A	172.16.2.254
mx1       	IN	A	207.206.8.36
www2      	IN	A	207.206.8.36
xl_dli     	IN	A	207.206.8.39
xl_mg     	IN	A	207.206.8.37
xl_pt     	IN	A	207.206.8.38

;
; CNAME alias record(s) for the man-gill.com domain.
;
ftp       	IN	CNAME	mx1.man-gill.com.
mail      	IN	CNAME	mx1.man-gill.com.
ns1       	IN	CNAME	mgntfw.man-gill.com.
www       	IN	CNAME	mgntws.man-gill.com.

;
; Records that were not automatically handled by Metainfo DNS
Configuration
;
www.magnus-equip.com. IN A 207.206.8.41
mx1.predict-dli.com. IN A 207.206.8.55
valiant.predict-dli.com.   IN A 172.16.3.201
man-gill.com.              IN A 207.207.8.34

	207.206.8.REVERSE.DB
; ***********************************************************
; * This file is auto-generated.  It may be edited by hand,
; * but comments and formatting will not be preserved.
; * It reverse-maps the 207.206.8 subnet.
; *
; * The SOA from the magnus-equip.com domain will
; * be copied to this reverse mapping file because most of
; * the entries in this file are from that domain.
; ***********************************************************
;
@	IN	SOA	mgntfw.man-gill.com.	postmaster.mgntfw.man-gill.com.	(
		1997032062 	; serial
		10800 	; refresh
		3600 	; retry
		604800 	; expire
		86400)	; minimum
41	IN	PTR	www.magnus-equip.com.
34	IN	PTR	man-gill.com.
36	IN	PTR	mx1.man-gill.com.
39	IN	PTR	xl_dli.man-gill.com.
37	IN	PTR	xl_mg.man-gill.com.
38	IN	PTR	xl_pt.man-gill.com.
@	IN	NS	mgntfw.man-gill.com.
@	IN	NS	ns1.man-gill.com.
@	IN	NS	ns2.iagnet.net.
@	IN	NS	mgntns.man-gill.com.

	172.16.2.REVERSE.DB
	; ***********************************************************
; * This file is auto-generated.  It may be edited by hand,
; * but comments and formatting will not be preserved.
; * It reverse-maps the 172.16.2 subnet.
; *
; * The SOA from the man-gill.com domain will
; * be copied to this reverse mapping file because most of
; * the entries in this file are from that domain.
; ***********************************************************
;
@	IN	SOA	mgntfw.man-gill.com.	tjrude.predict-dli.com.	(
		1997032062 	; serial
		10800 	; refresh
		3600 	; retry
		604800 	; expire
		86400)	; minimum
2	IN	PTR	jmb.man-gill.com.
36	IN	PTR	marni.man-gill.com.
7	IN	PTR	mghq.man-gill.com.
6	IN	PTR	mgnotes.man-gill.com.
111	IN	PTR	mgntfw.man-gill.com.
254	IN	PTR	mgntns.man-gill.com.
@	IN	NS	ns1.man-gill.com.
@	IN	NS	ns2.iagnet.net.
@	IN	NS	mgntns.man-gill.com.

	127.0.0.REVERSE.DB
; ***********************************************************
; * This file is auto-generated.  It may be edited by hand,
; * but comments and formatting will not be preserved.
; * It reverse-maps the 127.0.0 subnet.
; *
; * The SOA from the magnus-equip.com domain will
; * be copied to this reverse mapping file because most of
; * the entries in this file are from that domain.
; ***********************************************************
;
@	IN	SOA	mgntfw.man-gill.com.	postmaster.mgntfw.man-gill.com.	(
		1997032062 	; serial
		10800 	; refresh
		3600 	; retry
		604800 	; expire
		86400)	; minimum
1	IN	PTR	localhost.
@	IN	NS	mgntfw.man-gill.com.
@	IN	NS	ns1.man-gill.com.
@	IN	NS	ns2.iagnet.net.
@	IN	NS	mgntns.man-gill.com.

NEW attempt:
	PREDICT-DLI.COM.DB
;
; predict-dli.com.db
; Written 08/29/1999 14:47:41 by Meta IP 4.1 DNS Exporter (build 4679)
;
@ IN SOA ns1.predict-dli.com. dns-admin.ns1.predict-dli.com. 9 10800
1800 604800 86400
ftp                                       IN CNAME mx1
ns1                                       IN CNAME mgntfw
mx1                                       IN MX
10	mx1.predict-dli.com.
mgntfw                                    IN A     171.16.2.111
valiant                                   IN A     172.16.3.201
xl-dli                                    IN A     207.206.8.39
xl-pt                                     IN A     207.206.8.38
 ; valiant re defined
valiant                                   IN A     207.206.8.55
localhost                                 IN A     127.0.0.1
ns1                                       IN A     172.16.2.111
@                                         IN NS    ns1.predict-dli.com.

	8.206.207.IN-ADDR.ARPA.DB
;
; 8.206.207.in-addr.arpa.db
; Written 08/29/1999 14:47:43 by Meta IP 4.1 DNS Exporter (build 4679)
;
@ IN SOA ns1.predict-dli.com. dns-admin.ns1.predict-dli.com. 10 10800
1800 604800 86400
@                                         IN NS    ns1.predict-dli.com.
34                                        IN PTR   ns1.predict-dli.com.
39                                        IN PTR
xl-dli.predict-dli.com.
34                                        IN PTR
mgntfw.predict-dli.com.
38                                        IN PTR
xl-pt.predict-dli.com.
55                                        IN PTR
valiant.predict-dli.com.

	2.16.172.IN-ADDR.ARPA.DB
;
; 16.172.in-addr.arpa.db
; Written 08/29/1999 14:47:43 by Meta IP 4.1 DNS Exporter (build 4679)
;
@ IN SOA ns1.predict-dli.com. dns-admin.ns1.predict-dli.com. 7 10800
1800 604800 86400
@                                         IN NS    ns1.predict-dli.com.
111.2                                     IN PTR
mgntfw.predict-dli.com.

	0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA.DB
;
; 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa.db
; Written 08/29/1999 14:47:45 by Meta IP 4.1 DNS Exporter (build 4679)
;
@ IN SOA ns1.predict-dli.com.  dns-admin.ns1.predict-dli.com. (
1999082918
  10800
  3600
  604800
  86400
 )
  IN NS ns1.predict-dli.com.
1 IN PTR localhost.

	LOCALHOST.DB
;Localhost zone file (Forward-map of loopback)
@		IN	SOA	localhost.	root.localhost. (
		1	;
 		10800	;
		3600 	;
		604800 	;
		86400 )	;
localhost.	IN	NS	localhost.
localhost.	IN	A	127.0.0.1

	I will appreciate any and all help, comments, criticisms, and
information from any of you DNS gurus.  Perhaps I've made a simple
error, or completely fudged it up - due to my zero previous experience
with DNS!  DNS and BIND gave me some insight, but since we're not on a
UNIX platform, it left me with questions.  Sources on the web have been
of some help, but we're still not there.  If nothing else, should I just
set up exactly like the old machine????

TIA
Thomas