How can I configure two independent DNS Servers

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Sep 8 20:50:01 UTC 1999

In article <37D81739.CD2AE485 at nitidus.com>,
Anthony Di Paola  <adipaola at nitidus.com> wrote:
>I want to configure two independent dns servers for my domain.  One
>would be to resolve typical internet type requests (e.g.
>www.whatever.com, ftp.whatever.com etc.).  I would like a second dns
>server for internal purposes (smb.whatever.com, firewall.whatever.com
>etc.).  If I am not mistaken these two machines could potentially
>conflict with each other as they both want to be the root server for
>whatever.com.  Can I configure both as root servers and ensure that

You didn't really mean "root server", did you?  A root server is a server
for the "." domain, not for your own domain.

>there is no route between them (seeing that one will be on an
>intranet)?  Is there a better way to do this?  I would rather not put
>all the info on one system and have the second system act as a backup.
>Any help is appreciated.

You should configure them both as master servers for your whatever.com
domain.  An authoritative server for a domain will never ask another server
for information in that domain, so there shouldn't be a conflict.  The
external one would be listed in the InterNIC registration of your domain,
the Internal one would be unregistered.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com