Newbie (Probably Typical) Question...

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Wed Sep 8 22:27:07 UTC 1999

Miss Kitty <misskitty at sexonline.net> wrote in message
news:<pQAB3.22598$Rn.14524 at news.rdc2.occa.home.com>...
> Well, not really a "newbie".. at least not to Bind.  Am running 4.x and am
> now wanting to setup an 8.x Bind install on a FreeBSD 3.x machine.
>
> Can't get ndc to run, and can't find any error log... it just doesn't do
> anything.  Have gone thru just about all the examples and faq's I could
> find... but nothing seems to work.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions, point me to a good tutorial on this version..
> or?

What version of BIND is it?  If it's 8.2 or newer, ndc is an executable.
Before that, ndc was a shell script.

One fairly common problem folks have with the executable version of ndc is
that the FIFO that it wants to use to communicate with named isn't where it
expects.  Make sure that the pathname to ndc's FIFO in the named.conf
controls statement matches the pathname compiled into ndc.  Also make sure
named is creating the FIFO at startup, with permissions ndc can use.  I have
a little syntactic information on ndc and controls at
http://www.acmebw.com/papers/bind82.pdf.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
www.acmebw.com/training.htm for the
schedule and to register for upcoming
classes.