FW: Problem compiling bind 8.2.1 under AIX 4.3.2

Jim Reid jim at mpn.cp.philips.com
Thu Sep 9 09:05:31 UTC 1999

    >> Thanks for responding Jim. Based on your response I think I
    >> must be missing something BIG. As per INSTALL instructions, I
    >> ran 1) make clean 2) make depend 3) make 4) make install.
    >>
    >> I also get the following message from step 3) make
    >>
    >> gcc -g -O2 -I../../port/aix4/include -I../../include -c noop.c
    >> gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `as': A file or
    >> directory in the path name does not exist.  make[2]: ***
    >> [noop.o] Error 1

It looks to me that gcc is very badly broken on your system. The error
message indicates that gcc was unable to find or execute the assembler
(as). This means gcc can't compile anything: the assembly code output
from the compiler can't be translated into code in .o files. If that
happens, every time make invokes gcc, the compiler should terminate
with a non-zero exit status. That should stop make.