what does named...

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Thu Sep 9 20:51:59 UTC 1999

David <pozoc at phobia.ms> wrote in message
news:<rtg5iuj51iv80 at corp.supernews.com>...
> why is it when named is started, it takes about 30 seconds to get up to
> "full speed" ?  When i start it.. it seems slow, lookups and all.. but
after
> about 30 seconds, it works just fine.

When you start named, it has nothing cached.  The first time you look
something up, poor named is forced to go to the root name servers, get
referred to the name servers for some top-level domain--probably com--and so
on.  But the next time you look something up under com, named can skip the
root name servers and go directly to the com name servers, since it's cached
that data.  So successive lookups should get progressively faster.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
www.acmebw.com/training.htm for the
schedule and to register for upcoming
classes.