Running but won't answer?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri Sep 10 18:16:50 UTC 1999

> It's running... has pid.. and everything.  NSLOOKUP's work fine, when on the
> box itself.  But when I try to get an answer from it, it simply doesn' t
> want to give one, from anywhere else.
>
> I'm THOROUGHLY confused.

Obviously.  ;-)  That's exactly the REVERSE of your original problem
statement.  Or, at least, what I THOUGHT you meant by your original
statement:

> > > Well, seems I've got 8.2.1 to run, with no errors being reported in the
> > > messages log.  But it's not answering to queries... unless I do an
> > > "nslookup".. change the server to itself.. and then ask for a host.

Saying that it can't access itself unless explicitly told to, but

> > > Anyone from outside the box (not even on the same net) can get an answer
> > > from it.  I've not implemented any "listen_on" commands, since they
> default
> > > to all, on all ports.

Saying that everyone else can.

If people from outside domain a.b.c.d.fun can't access its name server,
then obviously the name servers for domain b.c.d.fun are NOT telling
people, "hey, I've a child domain named a, and its name server is at IP
address blah.blah.blah.blah."  You have to take this up with your
parent domain.  If that's a top-level domain, then take it up with your
domain registrar.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B