named not listening at all - was Re: named is listening on wrong device

D. Stussy kd6lvw at bde-arc.ampr.org
Sat Sep 11 23:11:29 UTC 1999

On 10 Sep 1999, Joseph S D Yao wrote:
> > How can I stop named from accessing this device? I don't even have an
> > idea how named discovered my ISDN device name.
>
> Do you not want it listening for queries on your ISDN port at all?  Or
> are you just worried that it will continue to listen on that pseudo-
> device when it isn't there any more?
>
> Don't worry.  The 'named' process checks periodically whether a device
> and IP address exist or not.  When that connection goes away, 'named'
> will stop listening on it.  Eventually, when you build up another
> connection with a [possibly] different IP address, it will start
> listening on that one.

Here's a new question, which might be related to the above somehow:

I like to start all my servers first (just to give them low process numbers -
look's neat).  Then I define the interfaces (via "ipconfig").  "GateD" has no
problem finding that I have brought up an interface (it's found within a few
seconds of being up), but "NameD" just sits there until I tell it via an "ndc
reload".  The syslog initially reports something like "name server started ...
but no interfaces."  OK, no problem, but why does it then take a reload for it
to go and look again?  (I'm talking about during system initialization only -
when PPP calls out later, that interface does get added, but sometimes, NameD
leaves a phantom socket behind - i.e. listening on an IP address for an
interface no longer there).

Should I force NameD to listen on [0.0.0.0].53 (i.e. wildcard the IP address)
instead of the default of a socket on each interface's IP address, at least
when starting it?   ...Or just forget about it and either change the order so
the interfaces are before the daemons or have a nameserver reload in my system
initialization scripts (to re-read the kernel interface list)?

[PS:  I'm using BIND version 8.1.2 under Linux.]