named not listening at all - was Re: named is listening on wrong device

Reuben Farrelly reubie at bigpond.AAA.com
Sun Sep 12 12:25:11 UTC 1999

Jim Reid <jim at mpn.cp.philips.com> wrote in message
news:20214.937138088 at kludge.mpn.cp.philips.com...
> Telling named to reload means it re-reads its config files, reload any
> zone files, refresh any slave zones and scan for network interfaces
> that have come up or gone down since the last time it scanned them.
> Think of it as a global reset and reconfiguration of the name server.
> So if you do that after the network interfaces have come alive....

Hmm.  Ok, so what does ndc restart do that reload doesn't do?  I thought ndc
reload only meant that the name server reread its config files and loads up
_new_ primary zones which it didn't have in memory already?

Reuben