BIND 8.2.1 Hangs - NDC fails

Brett_Frankenberger at NOTES.UP.COM Brett_Frankenberger at NOTES.UP.COM
Mon Sep 13 17:24:23 UTC 1999

>> In article <<A
HREF="msg00375.html">Pine.LNX.4.10.9909080037260.15487-100000 at brodie.two-fo
ur.com</A>>,
>> Adam D. Burstein <adam at register.com> wrote:
>> >We are also getting a lot of unauthorized updates (which I would like
>>
>> Others have reported named hanging in conjunction with lots of these.
It
>> sounds like there may be a bug, but it hasn't been tracked down.
>>
>I've been having the same problem for about a week now. I've got
>a script running that does a 'ndc reload' if nslookup doesn't get
>a response for a few seconds. I've noticed some patterns around
>my reloads in the logfiles.

The same thing happened to me this morning.  There are no (authorized or
unauthorized) nsupdates going to the server in question.  It stopped
listening on udp/53 and tcp/53 (as in, connections to these ports returned
ICMP Port Unreachable and TCP RSTs from the OS).  It wouldn't accept an
AF_UNIX socket connection from ndc either (I don't have it configured to
accept control connections via TCP, but I would imagine that would be dead
also).  Killed and restarted it and it took off ...

    -- Brett