unapporved update

glen herrmannsfeldt gah at ugcs.caltech.edu
Mon Sep 13 18:39:13 UTC 1999

Barry Finkel <b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov> writes:

>> Why does a WIN 2000 server need a WIN 2000 DNS box?

>Because WIN 2000 registers arbitrary resource records in DNS via
>RFC 2052 - records such as

>     a) where are the Primary Domain Controllers?
>     b) where are the LDAP servers?
>     c) what services are available on which server?
>     d) et alia

I heard some time ago that W2000 would (re)use SRV records.

I am still not sure from your post, and the follow ups, if W2000 will
work with statically configured SRV records?

While dynamic DNS sounds interesting, I (and maybe others) am not ready
to trust it.  If I statically configure all the required RRs, will
W2000 WS or server work normally?

thanks,

-- glen