domain doesn't resolve (but hosts do)

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Sep 13 22:47:26 UTC 1999

In article <7rj75e$3t0$1 at ncar.ucar.edu>,
Greg Woods <woods at ncar.UCAR.EDU> wrote:
>We are having a problem here that sounds similar to the folks that
>haven't paid their NSI bills, but I do not believe that is our problem.
>The problem is that mail being sent with an SMTP sender ending with
>"@ucar.edu" (our domain name) is being rejected with an unresolveable
>domain error.

I've been hearing about this happening alot lately, and frequently I
haven't been able to find anything wrong with the site's DNS.  I think
they've all been cases where the domain has MX records but no A records, as
is the case for UCAR.EDU.  Try adding an A record for your domain (make it
point to your web or mail server's address).

I suspect this is a bug in a common variation of sendmail's check_* rules.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com