not authoritative for my domain

Jim Reid jim at mpn.cp.philips.com
Thu Sep 16 09:24:11 UTC 1999

    Marty> I have two internal DNS servers running BIND 8.  One is
    Marty> authoritative for fallon.com and one is authoritative for
    Marty> fallon-ny.com.  They are secondaries for each other.  I
    Marty> recently got this error on the secondary server for
    Marty> fallon.com when it tries to transfer the fallon.com zone
    Marty> file.

    Marty> 15:48:48 ns2 named-xfer[523]: [192.168.22.22] not
    Marty> authoritative for fallon.com, SOA query got rcode 0, aa 0,
    Marty> ancount 1, aucount 0

    Marty> I don't get any errors on the fallon.com DNS when I reload,

    Marty> Anytime I do a nslookup on my fallon.com DNS for fallon.com
    Marty> entries, it comes back with the answer but
    Marty> Non-authoritative.  For some reason my DNS doesn't think
    Marty> that the fallon.com zone is authoritative.  Any ideas why?

There is something wrong with the master name server for fallon.com.
It's giving non-authoritative answers for that zone (=> refusing zone
transfer requests) when it should be authoritative for the domain.
Check the name server logs on that system. There's probably an error
like an illegal host name in the zone file for fallon.com. This will
be reported in the logs if logging hasn't been messed up.