Using Bind in a dial on demand environment

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Fri Sep 17 21:25:41 UTC 1999

<nwaltham at my-deja.com> wrote in message
news:<7rbmfh$r4j$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>...
> Now the question! What are the settings I can put in /etc/named.conf
> which will reduce the amount of DNS traffic on the link so the link is
> brought up less frequently. For example I want to cache for the longest
> length of time, both succesfull and failed lookups.

There are some new dialup features in BIND 8.2.  I mentioned them in
http://www.acmebw.com/papers/bind82.pdf, if you're interested.  But there's
not much (yet) to help you put a minimum on TTLs.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
www.acmebw.com/training.htm for the
schedule and to register for upcoming
classes.