How many NS records should be in the 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa zone?

Bill Larson wllarso at swcp.com
Mon Sep 20 15:18:15 UTC 1999

> According to the DNS and BIND book the zone file for 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa
> should contain an NS record for each server in your domain (see the 3rd
> edition page 67).  First question - is this a correct assumption?

This doesn't seem correct.  I don't have my copy of DNS & BIND handy
so I can't check your reference.

Every name server should be configured to be authoritative for the
0.0.127.in-addr.arpa zone.  For this reason, there shouldn't be an
slave servers for this zone.  If the server is already the master, then
they can't be a slave for the zone at the same time.

This is equivalent to the situation where you have multiple "master"
name servers for a zone and it functions perfectly.

Remember that clients never know if they are asking a "master" or
"slave" server, all they care about is receiving an answer.  Sometimes
the client may require an authoritative answer, but this still don't
force a query to any specific server, just AN authoritative server.

Bill Larson (wllarso at swcp.com)