Problems after upgrade from 8.1.2 to 8.2.1 (8.2.2-T3B)

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Sep 20 18:44:00 UTC 1999

In article <199909201505.QAA04347 at cblelcb.leeds.ac.uk>,
Andrew J Cole  <A.J.Cole at cbl.leeds.ac.uk> wrote:
>After an upgrade from 8.1.2 to 8.2.1 two weeks ago we have logged a
>large number of additional and unexpected anti-spam rejections (Sender
>domain must resolve) from the standard sendmail 8.9.3 checks.
>
>On checking the three or four sites concerned which are valid e-mail
>sources no obvious pattern emerges (to me) from their DNS entries other
>than the fact that a lookup of subdomain.domain always fails unless we
>have cached a lookup of their domain (see digs).
>
>Rather than revert to 8.1.2 I took our servers forward to 8.2.2-T3B
>which exhibits the same problem (the example is from 8.2.2-T3B).
>
>Can anyone see a problem with the bc-bucharest.bcouncil.org entries?

I don't see any serious problems, although I noticed the following:

bc-bucharest.bcouncil.org.	86400	MX	1 vmailnt2.trinite.co.uk.

vmailnt2.trinite.co.uk.	86400	CNAME	vmailntwks44.trinite.co.uk.
vmailntwks44.trinite.co.uk.	86400	A	195.38.80.222

MX records are supposed to point to A records, not CNAME records.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com