error "no NS RRs found at zone top"

Jim Reid jim at mpn.cp.philips.com
Tue Sep 21 13:27:18 UTC 1999

    >> I am getting these errors in my messages log and I'm not sure
    >> what they mean. Below are the errors and the zone file in
    >> question. Suggestons anyone?

    >> Sep 18 11:10:33 dns.resell.net named[3366]: Zone "2000themillennium.com" (file 2000themillennium.com.hosts): no NS RRs found at zone top
    >> Sep 18 11:10:33 dns.resell.net named[3366]: master zone "2000themillennium.com" (IN) rejected due to errors (serial 96091552)

There were no NS records for this domain in your zone file, so the
name server had no choice but to reject it.

    >> @      IN      SOA      dns.resell.net. hostmaster.resell.net. (
    >> 96091552 ; Serial
    >> 10800 ; Refresh after 3 hours
    >> 3600 ; Retry after 1 hour
    >> 608400 ; Expire after 1 week
    >> 86400 ) ; Minnimum TTL of 1 day

    >> IN  NS     dns.resell.net.
    >> IN  NS     ns1.dn.net.

If that is *exactly* what is in this zone file, you need to put some
white space at the beginning of the lines with the NS records at the
very least. Without that, the name server will parse those lines as NS
records for the domain in.2000themillennium.com, rather than
2000themillennium.com which is presumably what you want.

Personally I recommend using fully-qualified and dot-terminated names
everywhere in master zone files. Mean what you say and say what you
mean and all that. Which is clearer and easier to understand?
	 IN  NS     dns.resell.net.
	 IN  NS     ns1.dn.net.
or
	2000themillennium.com. IN  NS     dns.resell.net.
	2000themillennium.com. IN  NS     ns1.dn.net.

The second form is also less susceptible to finger trouble when
editing the zone file or geting mangled because of a screwed-up
resource record just above them in the file.