resolver can't resolv 127.0.0.1

Robert King rbking at home.com
Tue Sep 21 03:04:55 UTC 1999

Hi All,
 I have a bizarre problem with my  resolver. It has been running
fine until recently. Every so often, the resolver can't seem to
resolve 127.0.0.1 and it has to go to the next alternate host
configured in /etc/resolv.conf.  127.0.0.1 is clearly defined
in /etc/hosts and named.local. A dump of named looks quite normal.
 When this happens, I have to kill and restart named sometimes
multiple times to get it to work correctly.
 This is very annoying as it takes a minute or so to timeout
before attempting  o query the alternate server. In doing so mail
smap starts queueing up.

Has anyone seen this before?
thanks in advance for any help/pointer?

The exact message is as follow (default server and address have
been deleted).

$ nslookup
*** Can't find server name for address 127.0.0.1: No response
from server
Default Server:  xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Address:  <some ip>

--