unapproved AXFR ?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Sep 21 21:15:03 UTC 1999

In article <37e9ed54.13533572 at library.airnews.net>,
tjward <tjward at REMOVEaltercast.net> wrote:
>hello
>
>i'm working on setting up my new server and i keep seeing this in
>/var/log/messages.
>
>i have done a whois on the ip.. and i don't have a clue who he is or
>what he could be trying to do.. can someone tell me if this is a
>problem?

That machine is a nameserver; in fact, it's one of the nameservers
registered for the shmooze.net domain.  I suspect it's misconfigured as a
slave server for your domain, and you should contact them and get them to
fix it.

>should i..  or can i block this kind of activity?

You *are* blocking it.  The "(acl)" at the end means that the reason the
zone transfer was not approved is because the address isn't in the
allow-transfer access list.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com