Parsing zone files

Martin Oldfield m at mail.tc
Wed Sep 22 15:25:25 UTC 1999

Given the file:

$ORIGIN	foo.
bar	80000 IN	A 123.123.123.123
$ORIGIN foo.foo.
bar	40000 IN	A 123.123.123.123
$ORIGIN	foo.foo.foo.
bar	20000 IN	A 123.123.123.123
$ORIGIN	foo.foo.
baz			A 123.123.123.123

What would the TTL be for baz.foo.foo. ?

What about for the file:

$ORIGIN	foo.
bar	80000 IN	A 123.123.123.123
$ORIGIN	foo.foo.foo.
bar	20000 IN	A 123.123.123.123
$ORIGIN	foo.foo.
baz			A 123.123.123.123

I know RFC1035 says:

> The RR begins with optional TTL and class fields, followed by a type
> and RDATA field appropriate to the type and class.  Class and type
> use the standard mnemonics, TTL is a decimal integer.  Omitted class
> and TTL values are default to the last explicitly stated values.
> Since type and class mnemonics are disjoint, the parse is unique.
> (Note that this order is different from the order used in examples
> and the order used in the actual RRs; the given order allows easier
> parsing and defaulting.)

So does that mean that the TTL in both cases would be 20000 ? That
seems wrong to me, and doesn't seem to match the observed behaviour of
BIND. I'd much rather that the default value were the last explicitly
stated in the same context.

Cheers,
--
Martin Oldfield,