Newbie looking for DNS FAQ

Bill Larson wllarso at swcp.com
Thu Sep 23 02:36:00 UTC 1999

I'm putting together an FAQ and hope to post a second VERY alpha
version later this week.  There are a lot of things to clean up,
and still a lot of questions unanswered.

In the meantime, take a look at the DNS Resource Directory at
<http://www.dns.net/dnsrd/>.  At this site, there is another
DNS/BIND FAQ written by Chris Peckham which is also quite good
(but seems to be more oriented towards BIND-4).  At this same
site there is a copy of the "Linux DNS HOWTO" which provide
some good information about configuring a BIND name server.

The best source for DNS and BIND information is definitely
"DNS & BIND" by Paul Albitz and Cricket Liu.  Obviously this
book is not free, but if you are serious about learning about
DNS this is the best single source for information about DNS.
If you are using a Win-NT system, then there is also "DNS
on Windows NT" by Paul Albitz, Matt Larson, and Cricket Liu.
Both of these books are published by O'Reilly and Assc.

Bill Larson (wllarso at swcp.com)