Any good DNS maintenance tools

Måns Nilsson mansaxel at bartlet.df.lth.se
Thu Sep 23 22:20:10 UTC 1999

In article <vjnG3.3282$cPf.189205504 at news.telia.no>, Knut Meidal wrote:
>Can anyone suggest a (graphical) tool for BIND8 maintenance.
>I am running RedHat Linux 6.0, latest BIND, and I'm new to DNS.
>Since there are endless possibilities to mess up, I would like a few
>suggestions on tools that can make my DNS config easier (and correct)
>
>X-windows, character based, Apache/Browser based, I can try anything, as
>long as it is usable and produces error-free DNS files.

At the absolute top there exists systems as the Lucent QIP. But as they will
set you back about 30 SEK per used object (meaning in this context host) and
they (IIRC) start at 1000 objects I guess that it is a bit out of range.

Cisco and Nortel/Bay have similar tools, similarly priced.

There are systems like Ganymede, which IIRC is free.

But, and this is a LARGE but, all these system assume a good working know-
ledge of DNS, both at the system (meaning DNS at large) and application
(meaning BIND operation and configuration) level. If you start out with a
graphic tool, not knowing the gritty bits of DNS, you will fail as well.

Buy the Book, read it, and setup a trial server testing what you have read
about. DNS is not magic, it is a straightforward system, but you need to
know and grasp it. Oh, by the way, 'the Book' is 'DNS & BIND' by Albitz & Liu
published by O'Reilly.

--
Måns Nilsson 					MN1334-RIPE
www.df.lth.se/~mansaxel for details		GSM 070 8344045