Reverse Zone - BIND 8 - Classless Subnet - HELP!

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Sep 23 22:33:19 UTC 1999

> I have a domain (classless - mydomain.com) that is serviced via
> Southwestern Bell (swbell.net).  It is a 5 useable IP ADSL setup.  I
> have two linux boxes running bind 8.  My ISP has stated that they have
> delegated in-addr duties as per the classless subnet RFC 2317.  I seem
> to be having some problems verifying that it works!  (read:  I know
> just enough to be dangerous).
> zone "144.xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa" {
>         type master;
>         file "pz/144.xxx.xxx.xxx";
> };
>
> here is pz/144.xxx.xxx.xxx
> @                       IN      SOA     mystic.mydomain.com.
> root.mydomain.com. (
>                                         1       ; Serial
>                                         8H      ; Refresh
>                                         2H      ; Retry
>                                         1W      ; Expire
>                                         1D)     ; Minimum TTL
>                                 NS      ns1.swbell.net.
>                                 NS      ns2.swbell.net.
>                                 NS      mystic.mydomain.com.
>                                 NS      voodoo.mydomain.com.
>                 145     IN      PTR     mojo.mydomain.com.
>                 146     IN      PTR     mystic.mydomain.com.
>                 147     IN      PTR     hex.mydomain.com.
>                 148     IN      PTR     voodoo.mydomain.com.
>                 149     IN      PTR     magic.mydomain.com.
>                 150     IN      PTR     gw.mydomain.com.
> I've been talking the the dns admin who seems to think that it is
> because I'm using "@" instead of $ORIGIN 144.xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa.
>
> I think it's because I am completely screwing something up!
>
> Regards,
> James

No, you haven't completely screwed it up.  At least, not if the two
lines after the first "=====" are really one line.  But the lines that
start "145" ... "150" must be flush left.  Otherwise, you are assigning
various PTR records to the DOMAIN name, with TTLs of 145 ... 150!

Oh - and the "dns admin" needs to read "DNS and BIND" a second time [or
a first] - there is nothing wrong with the "@" there.  And it does NOT
need a "$ORIGIN".  However, if you are running 8.2ff, it SHOULD have a
"$TTL" statement before the SOA.

$TTL	1d

@	IN	SOA	mystic.mydomain.com. root.mydomain.com.	(
	1999092301	; Serial
	8H	; Refresh
	2H	; Retry
	1W	; Expire
	1D)	; Minimum TTL

	IN	NS	ns1.swbell.net.
	IN	NS	ns2.swbell.net.
	IN	NS	mystic.mydomain.com.
	IN	NS	voodoo.mydomain.com.

145	IN	PTR	mojo.mydomain.com.
146	IN	PTR	mystic.mydomain.com.
147	IN	PTR	hex.mydomain.com.
148	IN	PTR	voodoo.mydomain.com.
149	IN	PTR	magic.mydomain.com.
150	IN	PTR	gw.mydomain.com.

Note that the domain above would then declare
	145.144.xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa
	150.144.xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa
which your ISP must have defined as the canonical names for
	145.xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa
	150.xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa

Since you leave out your real domain name and IP address [why?  you
intend to advertise it via DNS!], we have no way of verifying that this
is in fact the case.  But you can check it out.

OBTW, I also changed the format of the "serial" number to the
recommended format.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B