bind 8.2.1

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Sep 24 21:28:06 UTC 1999

In article <14315.57816.627292.127575 at dolphin.mojam.com>,
Skip Montanaro  <skip at mojam.com> wrote:
>In my mind, none of those comments seem to suggest a TTL line is now
>required, except possibly 485, and that only because I know what I'm looking
>for after the fact.  None of them say anything clear like, "Without a $TTL
>record before the SOA record of the zone file, bind will log a 'No default
>TTL' message."

It isn't required.  You can also put explicit TTLs in every record.  It
only complains if you have a record that doesn't have a TTL, so it should
use the default, and you haven't set the default.

>Why are people getting so hot under the collar about this?

Because it has been asked and answered a thousand times so far.

I agree that the documentation is not very helpful in this regard.  But a
quick deja.com search of the newsgroup would have found those answers.  I
think it was also answered in the proto-FAQ that was posted last week.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com