bind 8.2.1

Jim Reid jim at mpn.cp.philips.com
Fri Sep 24 22:50:38 UTC 1999

    Skip> Why are people getting so hot under the collar about this?
    Skip> I feel somehow like you people are shooting the messenger
    Skip> here.  I made what I thought was a reasonable comment: If
    Skip> lots of people have problems with the same thing, perhaps
    Skip> that specific problem could be addressed in the
    Skip> documentation.

But the subject *is* addressed in the documentation. By your own
admission, you didn't even look at that. You didn't bother to check
the archives for this list either. Or search something like dejanews
where this self-same topic comes up 3 or 4 times a week. I'm sure
you're not clueless or lazy, but I simply don't understand why you
didn't try any of these obvious things by yourself first.

    Skip> If nothing else, that might reduce the
    Skip> frequency of these requests posted to the list.

I very much doubt it. You didn't read the documentation or check the
archives or search dejanews. Since that lack of initiative seems to be
commonplace - judging by how often the same question comes up - it's
unlikely anything can be done to improve matters. The clueless still
won't consult any READ_THIS_FIRST file. Or check the FAQ - when it's
ready! - if it was presented to them on a silver platter. Or read
anything that tells them how to find things out for themselves, far
less try to find things out for themselves, even if they can't or
won't read the documentation. Remember the proverb: you can take a
horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

A certain skill set is needed to install, configure and administer a
name server. One of those skills is problem solving. Even without the
documentation, you could have figured it out by reading the source
code and finding out why the warning message gets printed. But you
don't appear to have done that either.

There were many ways you could have found the answer out for yourself.
But, like most of the others who posted this question, you didn't try
any of them. So it's hardly surprising that some of the readers of
this DL get irked when the same scenario gets played out over and over
and over and over again.