Can the same domain name be made to refer to a local server on each site?

Jan Buelens jan_buelens at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 27 16:10:37 UTC 1999

I'm sorry if this is a FAQ, I can only see the last 10 days of this
newsgroup. I want to setup local software distribution servers on each site
and I want the same name to refer to the the local server for all client
PCs, including mobile users visiting a remote site.  How can I use DNS to
achieve this?

The O'Reilly book DNS on NT (NT version of the better known DNS & BIND book)
tells me about a type of address sorting that looks promising: if the DNS
server is on the same subnet as the requesting client, and one of the IP
addresses for the requested name is also on that subnet, that IP address
will be returned first. Can anybody confirm from experience that this is
indeed what happens? Has anyone seen this confirmed in Microsoft
documentation?

The DNS & BIND book does not describe such a feature.

Thanks for sharing any thoughts / experiences.