Whats the mx, hinfo and txt good for?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Sep 27 21:27:16 UTC 1999

In article <7soj25$199k$1 at news.cybercity.dk>, Da User <user at home.foo> wrote:
>OK, I've setup a local DNS ... but I would like to know mx, hinfo and
>txt good for?

MX is for specifying the server that handles mail for your domain.

HINFO is for specifying the hardware and OS of a machine; virtually nothing
uses them and they're considered obsolete.

TXT is for associating arbitrary text with a name in DNS; you can use it
for whatever you want.  For instance, some organizations use it to record
things like serial numbers, office location, etc.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com