Spurious label compression pointers

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Sep 27 22:01:42 UTC 1999

In article <37EFDFD6.E7E42090 at HooBie.net>, g  <g at HooBie.net> wrote:
>So, why later in the dump when we get to a NS RR with a label name of
>www.phillips.digex.net... (at absolute position 0x3AD) does the pointer in the
>RDATA of 'dd' reference 0x10 (which translates to an absolute position of
>0x48)???
>NSLookup interprets this RDATA to be dd.philips.digex.net. I must admit, I really
>can't see how it gets this. It's not a local pointer so whats going on? I
>may have
>just missed something subtle in the RFC, it may be that this is an old BIND bug
>which clients must know about but I am sure that would be documented.

Zone transfers can be sent in two formats: one-answer or many-answer.  The
traditional way is one-answer, and servers usually send in this format
unless the DNS administrator overrides the default because he knows that
all the slave servers understand the one-answer format.

In one-answer format, each resource record in the zone transfer is a
separate DNS message, each with its own DNS header.  Thus, offsets are
relative to the start of that message, not the first message in the zone
transfer.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com