Two quick DNS questions.

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Sep 28 08:00:08 UTC 1999

> Hi, 2 quick ones.
>
> 1) I know that you can pick a specific domain and do a zone transfer of the
> db information for it if that name server
> allows zone transfers to anywhere. I'd do this with the nslookup and ls -t
> any blah.com.au command. however, is there
> any way to query a name server to get *all* the domains that it has db
> information for?

	No.  To do this you would need to use SNMP and as fare as I am
	aware no DNS server has SNMP hooks as yet.

> I tried ls -t any *.com.au but it didn't work :)
>
> 2) Does putting an IP address in the NS section of a zone file of a domain
> automatically allow zone transfer to
> that IP? I know that I can force it to allow zone-transfers using the
> allow-transfer option in named.conf - but will putting
> the IP address of that machine in each individual db file allow zone
> transfers for that zone?

	You do not put IP addresses into NS records.  By default anyone
	can transfer a zone, all restrictions about transfers are
	controlled by allow-transfer directives either at the zone or
	server (options) level.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org