tracert vs. getHostName

Bob Byron remarq.com at radit.com
Tue Sep 28 17:44:18 UTC 1999

I have written a Java program that retrieves the host name of
a computer when I pass it an IP address.  I am using a call
to getHostName() to do the translation.  But, the host
name is not always returned.  Sometimes I just receive the
same IP address back that I passed in.  I would be content
with the fact that all translations are not going to give me an
answer, however, when I do a tracert, I DO get the name of
the computer.  Hmmm.  Can someone answer the following
two questions:

1)  How is tracert getting the information and getHostName
is not.

2)  Is there a way that I CAN programmatically get the translation
of the name?

I am running under Windows NT.

Thanks,
Bob Byron

* Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com * The Internet's Discussion Network *
*  The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!   *