BIND on NT

Pascal Jeanblanc pascaljb_nospam at easynet.fr
Tue Sep 28 18:15:27 UTC 1999

Sara wrote:

> Can someone please tell me what file I need to goto to add an A record?  And
> could I split them up per domain?  Like hello.com.dns and email.com.dns,
> etc... ?  That's easier to manage I think.

First you need to edit the file c:\winnt\named.boot. It contains these following
lines :

directory      C:\\win32app\\bind
Where the file are located

zone files :
primary firstdomain.com db.zoneinfo
primary seconddomain.com db.secondzoneinfo

and reverse address-to-host mapping :
primary 235.6.195.in-addr.arpa  db.inaddr

the files db.xxx are these in which you're going to enter your records : A,
MX...
This example shows two different domains, each one in a separate file.
Don't forget the reverse mapping as well.

Hope this helps,
Pascal