timeout value for no response from primary name server

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Sep 28 18:31:44 UTC 1999

It's hard to venture an answer to this question when you haven't indicated
what platform your clients are running. I just tried tests on Solaris 7 and
Win 95 and the fallback was fairly reasonable; about 10-15 seconds for
both, when there is nothing at the first-listed address, and about 5
seconds or less if the first-listed address is active but with nothing
listening to UDP port 53. What platform are you running, that would take 80
seconds to fall back?

- Kevin