help with name checking script

lnordin at noblesys.com lnordin at noblesys.com
Tue Sep 28 19:01:54 UTC 1999

I'm tyring to use a shell script to verify that our name server is
running correctly and that the appropriate MX records exist. The problem
I'm having is that when I run,"dig domain.com mx" it gives a return code
of 0 even if there isn't an MX record for domain.com. Am I not using the
correct options on dig or what?

I've tried doing the same thing with nslookup but with the same result.

Do I have to resort to parsing std out to determine if the MX record
resolved correctly?

BTW running SCO v5.0.4, bind v4.9.7 resolver libs, dig v2.2.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.