resolution works only one way

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Sep 29 14:14:32 UTC 1999

In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.990928161812.9255A-100000 at greenland.i-tel.com>,
David Hajoglou  <hojo at greenland.i-tel.com> wrote:
>So I have all of my zone files configured.  When I run nslookup I can put
>in an ip address and get the server name, but I get no return when I query
>for a host or fqdn.  Before I post any files, what is a good method to
>debug named?  Is there a way to capture the comunication between named and
>nslookup?  Any debugging help would be good!

"set debug" and "set d2" enable various levels of debugging in nslookup.
On the named side, you can use "ndc trace" to make named write a trace file
showing everything it's doing.

Much of this should be covered in the troubleshooting chapter of DNS&BIND.
If you're operating a nameserver and don't have this book, why?

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com