NOTIFY

Bill DeStein bill at ffnet.com
Wed Sep 29 20:44:53 UTC 1999

I'm considering an unconventional application for DNS
which will require frequent updates to the zone data of
my primary server(s).

I'd like to use caching to help with scalability, but my
application cannot tolerate incoherence between cached
data and primary zone data.

I believe I can use slave servers, and use NOTIFY
to synchronize master/slave data.  But I'm afraid of the
flash effect caused by these zone transfers as my network
grows.

It seems that what I need are caching-only servers
that receive NOTIFY messages from the master and
simply invalidate (delete) their cache entries without
initiating a zone transfer.

Can BIND 8.x do this?

Seems like an easy change for me to make.  True?

Other suggestions?

Thanks,  Bill (bill at ffnet.com)