IRIX questions

Bob Remeika bob at i2net.com
Wed Sep 29 21:48:51 UTC 1999

Rob,

	Thanks very much for the info.  I think I got the named server installed.
I typed in "whereis named" and I got a directory (/usr/etc/named.d/) and a
compressed file (/usr/share/catman/a_man/cat1/named.z).  In the named
directory there are two files.  One is a link (named.boot ->
../../../etc/named.boot) and the other is a file that contains the root name
server information (root.cache).

	The symbolic link file links to a file that isnt there.  Is the named
server enabled on my system?  I'm not really sure what this info is telling
me and I was wondering if you could shed a little insight for me.  Do you
have any sample files that would allow me to test the named server?  Also,
is there anything else I have to do to configure the named server?  Do I
have to put something in the rc2.d directory?

	Off the subject a little bit is the compiler question.  I thought I
installed the gcc and the egcs compilers but when I use the gcc command, it
says command not found.  When I look under my installed programs, they show
up.  Is there something that Im missing in my configuration?  When I type
"whereis gcc" it comes up with nothing.

Thanks again for your help, any info you can give me is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob Remeika

PS For the bind server and the compilers I used SGI's install now option
from http://freeware.sgi.com.  Was wondering if that had anything to do with
why I cant get this stuff to work.