named-bootconf

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Sep 29 22:27:52 UTC 1999

In article <37F28496.A3B9CB29 at mila.com>, J.B. LaRue <jb.larue at mila.com> wrote:
>Upgraded to 8.2.1 from source (from ftp.isc.org) and everything compiled
>great on an my trusty/reliable 2.2.8 FreeBSD box. After reading every
>cotton pickin :) message I could get my hands (eyes) on all day, I
>understand that all that is left to do is to make sure that I have a
>proper $TTL directive in my zone files (I'm assuming in the RARP file as

The RARP files?  I don't think they have anything to do with named.  Did
you mean reverse zone files?  Of course you have to put $TTL in them; as
far as named is concerned, they're just ordinary zone files.  named doesn't
care that the suffix is .in-addr.arpa rather than .com, they're all just
arbitrary text strings as far as it's concerned.

>well)   -  and RUN named-bootconf!?! How the heck do ya do that? There's
>no man page, there's no usage string associated with the script, nothing
>to tell me any arguments to be given?! Do I just make sure that I'm in
>the /etc/named directory and run /usr/sbin/named-bootconf? If so, it'll
>sit there waiting for some input 'till the cows come home - oh they're
>back already :)

named-bootconf reads from stdin and writes to stdout.  It has no options.
So you do:

named-bootconf </etc/named.boot >/etc/named.conf

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com