forwarders

Bill Manning bmanning at ISI.EDU
Sat Apr 1 00:24:26 UTC 2000

%
% Wow, you seem really sure about this Joe.  Big 'NO', big 'AUTHORITY', etc.
% Some implementations do actually support DNS Exceptions, so that this problem can be handled, selectively.
% I actually tried one, hands-on and all.
% May not be strictly RFC, but I think you will see that the market will demand more functionality in DNS than
% currently is RFCed.  Does multimaster dns also spring to mind?
% I do not think that anyone should be too RFC-tight these days with Win2000 rolling out.  Things will happen in the
% DNS arena, whether or not ietf follows (they probably will, because the market-place needs them to - If they do not,
% well, I hate thinking that thought to the end).
% my 2 cents,
% Johnny

Johnny,
	while cisco did eclipse microsoft as the largest company in the
world, they have not yet adopted the "embrace, extend, exterminate" policy
that has stood Microsoft in such stead these past few years. If you have
been paying attention, you will have noticed that -NO- implementation
meets the specifications exactly. The past few years have seen a greater
adhearance to the specifications as implentations hav evolved. While I have
seen behaviour that I found useful irradicated, it was done so to improve
the code base, esp. when the number and cluedensity of the average user
has risen and diluted (respectively).

	if you want goofy capability, get the source, add your features,
and don't ask questions when you need help. Standardization is the -only-
thing that will get us where we want to go and being as strict as we can
to adhere to those standards will get allow everyone a conistant Internet
experience. for further evidence of the wisdom of this approach, please
review your corporations mission statement over the years.

--bill